Rep. Niemerg Legislation Would Help Women in Crisis: Tax Credit for Donors to Pregnancy Care Centers

State Representative Adam Niemerg (R-Dieterich) has filed House Bill (HB) 697 in the Illinois General Assembly that would provide a 50 percent tax credit for those people who donate to pregnancy resource centers that are 501(c) nonprofit organization under the Internal Revenue Code and provide free assistance to pregnant women.

“This issue is my top priority as a legislator to have public policy that helps people in need and encourages the life of unborn babies,” commented Rep. Adam Niemerg. “If you aren’t alive, nothing else matters.”

CCI Executive Director Robert Gilligan hosts the Catholic Conference Radio Hour on the third Monday of the month on WNDZ Chicago 750 AM. Gilligan discusses current public policy issues affecting the Church with experts and newsmakers.

This legislation amends the Illinois Income Tax Act to create an income tax credit in an amount equal to 50% of the contributions made by the taxpayer during the taxable year to one or more qualifying pregnancy resource centers. Provides that the term “qualifying pregnancy resource center” means a nonprofit organization that is exempt from taxation under Section 501(c) of the Internal Revenue Code and is established for the purpose of providing free assistance to pregnant women in carrying their pregnancies to term. This credit would take effect for this year’s taxes in 2021.

“I am encouraged that people all over Illinois have already begun to contact me about how this will help with their crisis centers and help women in need of food, medical services, and even places to live while trying to make it through their pregnancy and beyond,” added Niemerg. “Right now there is a shortage of car seats for babies that pregnancy care centers are trying to help moms acquire. There is always a need for diapers and baby clothes because babies grow out of things so fast.”

If you would like to learn more about this legislation or any other state public policy topic, please contact Rep. Niemerg at and sign up for legislative updates.