Niemerg Stands Up for Private Property Rights: “Carbon Capture Sequestration” Does Not Protect Drinking Water

Map credit:

Springfield, IL – State Rep. Adam Niemerg (R-Dieterich) opposed Senate Bill 1289 (Floor Amendment #3) that imposes a program to capture carbon emissions from agriculture, automotive and manufacturing sectors in Illinois. Niemerg expressed serious concerns that the sequestration sites mandated in central and southern Illinois do not have the proper protections against harming drinking water sources from the Mahomet Aquifer.

“This new program is a continuation of the CEJA woke ideology that will negatively impact farmers, the automotive industry, and manufacturers who create jobs for my district and across Illinois,” said Rep. Niemerg. “The storage of the carbon dioxide underground has no protective guidelines for the Mohamet Aquifer under Champaign and Vermilion Counties in my district that provide drinking water for over 800,000 people.”

The Carbon Capture Sequestration (CCS) program allows for the owners of 75 percent of the underground storage sites who do want this site under their property to obligate the remaining 25 percent of the landowners to allow this against their wishes. There is no guarantee that it won’t seep out so there is an EPA (Environmental Protection Agency) monitoring for 30 years to be sure it doesn’t harm families, farm crops or livestock.

“This plan imposes an eminent domain philosophy to put these underground storage sites in places against landowners’ wishes,” added Niemerg.  “Private property rights are the backbone of our American system of ownership and freedom, and I will continue to fight for the landowners in my district who oppose this program.”

Opposed by the Illinois Farm Bureau, this legislation also puts a hold on all pipeline construction for two years whether associated with this plan or for oil or gas production.

For more information about this bill or others, you may contact Rep. Niemerg at 217-813-6036 or online at Legislative proceedings are online at